Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cheating

I think that for most people on a diet, "cheating" is a complicated issue. There are all sorts of emotional phrases attached: something you shouldn't eat, checking your weight the next day to see if you got away with it, the idea that you're sneaking the food, and so on. It's very similar to the language used for infidelity. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise: a good diet, like a marriage, should be a lifetime commitment.

I was gonna blog about something else today, but last night I had six homemade chocolate chip cookies. I thought this post would help get me past the emotional burden :)

This morning my weight was up a pound. I wonder if that's a coincidence; I was once told by a commercial weight-loss program that food takes 24 hours to show up as weight.

1 comment:

  1. It's not a coincidence. It's likely mostly water weight, but possibly also some "real" weight (extra body fat -- the inflow and outflow of body fat is a lot more volatile than people suppose). I suspect you'd do better to ignore that commercial weight-loss program's advice, based on the accuracy of the average weight-loss program. :-/ For starters, it's not just a matter of raw calorie intake vs. expenditure, as most of them think.

    Falling off the wagon is definitely fraught, as you say. I was so terrified of carbs that I stayed on for six months straight...and then have gotten lots and lots of experience with "cheating" episodes small and large over the next five years.

    You may find this article helpful:

    http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19058156.php

    I haven't confirmed for myself that the science in it is accurate, but its description exactly matches my experience of wagon-fall-off experiences, and also pretty closely matches the procedure I've developed for climbing back on.

    Best of luck...

    ReplyDelete