Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Veins

Around 40 years ago, when I was a child, my mother had varicose veins. She went to the hospital to have them surgically removed. I still remember the poem sister wrote on the get-well card for here: "when it's time to go to the hospital / it's time to say goodbye / when it's time to get your veins pulled out / it's time to say oh my!"

I was on my high school wrestling team. (I was a mediocre wrestler on a good team. Not surprisingly, I could have been better had I weighed less.) During conditioning, we were always impressed by the guys with the bulging veins in the legs and arms that "popped" while they lifted the weights.

Now, as I lose weight, I am seeing more definition in my hands, arms, and legs. The veins in the back of my hands are more visible, and in my legs even more, and disturbingly, so. I don't know if this looks cool, or is an "oh my!" moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment